Motox 12 – German simplicity

motox-12-image

This micro rocket motor, which bears a striking resemblance to the Nova-Jet, appeared in John Emmett's 'Jetex Natters' in the October 1992 issue of SAM35 Speaks.

John introduced it with this comment:

"John Nesbitt kindly lent me one of these motor outputs, which I have to admit I had never heard of. Quite tiny, with 11mm bore, it has black waxy pellets and wick which is not unlike early Jetex, although it has been dipped rather than extruded. Notable is the lack of a mounting clip, and absolutely no safety vent in the event of a blocked nozzle. Wouldn't that enliven those few silent seconds after you lit the fuse!"

Photos by Jim Fackert
{modal url=index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=43|width=700|height=750}[ More photos - click here ]{/modal}
- SAM35 Speaks (Jetex Natters),
Oct. 1992, p. 134

We have the complete German instruction sheet.
Here are translated excerpts:

Instructions for the Motox 12 Jet Propulsion Unit

Our Motox 12 Jet Propulsion Unit has been developed to power our "Star" jet aeroplane.

1. 1. The fuel pellet of our Motox 12 is very easy to ignite […] The principal ingredient of our Motox 12 fuel has absolutely no resemblance to black powder or any other explosive material. The fuel pellet should not be ignited indoors and is intended only for use in open spaces.
  2. 2. The Motox 12 must be loaded strictly in accordance with the directions given below. […]
  3. 3. The combustion of the fuel causes the Motox 12 to become hot and so it should not be handled immediately afterwards. […]

Directions for the Motox 12 The fuel pellet must be fully inserted into the motor casing. Approximately 4 cm of fuse can then be inserted through the nozzle, in such a way that 1 cm protrudes from the nozzle, with 3 cm inside. […]

We wish you many enjoyable flights! Motox Toy Company, Düsselforf - Bremen