Looks fine to me.
On Jet-Ex- Press I got the tip to mould a second canopy over the first, no need to fine finish the mould then! I never tried it as my low tech no vacuum method works good enough even if it takes several goes. I once finished the balsa mould with many layers of balsa cement rubbed on with a finger then wet and dried to a polish, that worked well too but took a few days - I was fifteen!
My supply of L-2X type Rapier motors is now all but exhausted, and if modellers want a motor more powerful than a Rapier L-2 LT (these are just great for profile models) then from now on it will have to be a Tender L-2L, which Terry Kidd is measuring as more powerful than my experiments indicate.
These motors will be great for those models which require a bit of 'OOMPH', like, say, Howard's Viggen or F-4 Phantom, or the Aerographics P.1B Lightning.
I sent practically my last batch of Rapier L-2X motors to Allan Patrick for just this model, as Alan is building one; in return, Alan is sending me some nice photos of his build.
As it is an interesting and unusual structure, these will be of great interest to perusers of this thread.
It's a Pete Smart design:
Note it was originally for 'Jet-X' which shows how early it is., so fitting a Tender L-2 should be, as they say, 'no problem'
Here is Alan's progress so far:
Alan tells me it will actually be his second Lightning, as he built one way back in (gulp!) 2007:
which he remembers, "Flew very successfully".
You will of course remember Daniel also built one:
As did master-modeller Ivan Taylor:
Ivan managed some lovely hand-painted detail on his model - something us guys must try and emulate!
I hope to post more of Alan's build in due course - it should be inspirational!
The flying surfaces were built following my usual practice: composite leading edge (hard balsa outermost) with webbed main spar and an extra spar at the front. The diagonal ribs add stiffness and 1/16" washout is built in. The tail feathers are essentially 3/32" sanded to a symmetrical aerofoil.
It's nice when things begin to 'take shape':
The interesting shape of the tail end is mimicked with a 1/64" ply former.
Next: doping the structure and covering with pre-printed tissue.