I glued the wings in place, using the jig - note the thread to ensure everything is aligned and it helps an old 'bodger ' like me!
In the time it takes Daniel Rackstraw to make a complete model (two days by my reckoning) I made the air intakes and those characteristic bulges under the wings. I also fared the wing in a bit - not something I usually do on a simple semi-profile model, but, again, these are a prominent feature of the real Iskra that I felt I should at least add a fillet of lightweight filler.
Gluing on the fin/tailplane assembly and the jet pipe etc. completed the model, which now needs only a bit of tidying up and some painting of edges:
If it's calm tomorrow morning I shall sneak down to the recreation ground for a few hand chucks/ glide tests. ("It's my daily exercise, honest guv) .
This will fix the CG and I can then add the motor mount and add a coat of varnish to bring out the detail.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Daniel R, TerryInBavaria
I managed to go out early and give the Iskra a few hand chucks. It got a bit damp (the grass was still heavy with dew, this was about 7.00 in the morning and perfectly still - perfect for trimming).
It only needed a couple of grams of Blu-Tac, but , there was a distinct tendency to turn to the right; this could be corrected by a bit of right rudder, but better was to bend in a bit of 'up' aileron on the left wing. I was pleased the CG was where I thought it should be, showing I'd got the rigging angle correct.
Back home, the model was wiped and dried:
Now, I have seen many a model on the flying field like this - great unsightly lumps of goo on the front - but it is a particular dislike of mine. I cut a slot in the noseblock and added 2.3 grams of lead and sealed the hole with filler, which is then painted over. After a bit more paint to the edges 'here and there' I gave the model a thin coat of acrylic satin varnish:
It was now time to add the motor mount:
This was made so it would take both a TSP L-2 and a Rapier L-2 (the red motor) . The Tender L-2, you will remember, is larger than the Rapier L-2. An insert (shown is therefore needed for fitting a Rapier. Easy enough.
The motor mount was glued so that 2/3 of the motor are in front of the CG. And that's just about it ....
Flight trials (and I fancy it will not need more than a Rapier L-2LT or Tender L-2 bored out to 1.7 mm nozzle diameter) will have to wait until l'
'lockdown' restrictions are eased.
If anyone would like copies of the template, or a set of parts for the Iskra (beta testing' of any prototype is a good idea before finalising the design) please let me know.