Here is my temporary assembly of the Sabre wings and fuselage after painting the undersides with Oasis Super Silver floral spray paint. It seemed a long tedious session masking it all off as I had to avoid getting paint on the gluing surfaces and even though the parts were all painted separately it only took a few seconds! I think it has come out fairly well, it shows every tiny blemish of course, but it is the brightest and lightest sliver I have found and am happy with it. If it is good enough for Chris Starleaf it is good enough for me, if you know different let us all know. 40ml spray cans can be obtained through florists shop suppliers.
I did have trouble with this paint on my Stratojet profile model as it has cracked somewhat where the solid balsa surfaces have been flexed, it may be because I had sprayed it onto the Johnson Klear that I had finished the balsa with. So far my tests on Airspan and thin dope which I have done on this model look OK, fingers crossed.
I admit that there has been quite a pause in getting on with the Sabre due to distractions flying rubber models on the local R/C patch with a pal since lockdown started to ease. It was much needed, but had to spend some time with repairs and fettling to get them back into flying condition. Hopefully I will be able to get the Sabre finished by the time the Army lets us back on Salisbury Plain where it is big enough to fly Rapiers without worrying about trees and barbed wire fences, ouch.
The following user(s) said Thank You: rogersimmonds
this is looking good. Oasis silver is not something I've tried, but the texture and reflectivity look good. As to 'showing up every blemish' ... once you add control surface, panel lines, national markings etc these are inconsequential .... honest!
Like me, your rate of new model production is in the region of 0.03 'Rackstraws'. Daniel seems capable of making a new model in about three days: us old guys take three months, i.e. a rate of 1/31 = 0.03 Rackstraws (or, as we will now call it, the 'R' number.