Why didn't I think of that! I usually do it all by eye and have found I made a goof of it from time to time, this is clever stuff indeed. What we need is universal jig like this for all the KK Flying Scale Series type models, ha ha, can you imagine?
no need for a full cardboard jig, the sort made of thick cardboard that came in the old Jetex 'Tailored' kits, but something like this (below, with the Cutlass on the stocks makes accuracy of assembly relatively easy:
Were I to do it 'by eye' it would definitely end in tears and a broken untrimmable model!
Having added and carved the F-11 Tiger's nose block, I've trimmed the canopy:
Above: Not wishing to repeat the mistake I made with the fuselage, I carefully drew up my own accurate rendition of the canopy ... but then neglected to allow for the 0.5 mm thickness of the plastic sheet! Doh!
The vacuum box is attached to a domestic vacuum cleaner: it works very well, but so tightly does the heated plastic conform to the plug that every little blemish shows up. I finish my canopy plugs with two coats of epoxy rubbed down with 1200 'wet and dry', and still the inside of the canopy needs a coat of 'Valejo' varnish.
The end result, however, is not too bad:
I can now move on to the wings and tail - my rate of new model production, like Howard's, is approx 0.03 'Rackstraws',